Maritime triumph in their Devon Super League opener

MARITIME made a good start to their new Devon County Super League campaign when they defeated Plymouth rivals Ker St Social Club.

The Premier Division champions just two seasons ago led 4-0 through Lewis Dare (23.13), Kieran Burns (25.53), Glyn Wells (26.44) and Danny Allen (23.92) before Kelvin Rowe (22.36 halted the slide.

John Mann (29.91) restored Maritime’s four-set advantage with a 4-0 victory and although Ker St won two more through Dave Algar (26.14) and Scott Lawrey (24.08), a 4-2 victory from Scott Hutchinson (23.99) sealed a 6-3 success.

Octagonals, who won the division one title last season as Poison Ivy, had a tough start when they had to travel to Winchester Warriors (Exeter).

But the newly promoted side gave a good account of themselves and held their own over the first six sets, coming from behind to draw level on three occasions.

Peter Holland (23.10) won 4-1, aided by an outshot of 115 and making his debut was former Cornwall county player Fred Goldsmith (26.47) (pictured) who achieved the best finish of the match with a kill of 136 before winning 4-1.

Neil White (22.77) followed with a 4-0 victory but with three to play, only Dave Matthews (23.52), aided by a checkout of 115, was a lone winner for the Octagon Social Club outfit and they were finally edged out 5-4.

Porters are looking to return to the top-flight after being relegated last season but lost their opening match in division one when defeated 6-3 by Plymouth rivals Maritime B.

Maritime B got their first point of the new season through Shaun Dring (24.68) who won 4-2, aided by a brace of 180s and a checkout of 116.

Devon Youth player Frankie Stout (22.78) (pictured below) was making his debut in Super League and could not have wished for a harder baptism than being drawn against Antony Hayman.

But the 13-year-old took it all in his stride and went 3-0 up which included a leg in 15. Hayman pulled it back to 3-3 but Stout still held firm and with the help of a top score of 180 took the decider in 20 to rapturous applause from his Maritime team-mates.

Rich Wheatley (22.94) moved the scoreline along to 3-0, aided by a 15-darter which he finished with a kill of 119 before Paul Goundry (22.78) pulled one back for Porters.

Goundry trailed 3-1 but pulled it back to 3-3 before clinching the seventh and decisive leg with an outshot of 130.

Paul Gavican (25.37) then reduced the arrears further when winning in four straight legs, his best coming in 15 which ended with a checkout of 106.

Phil Hoyle (21.20) restored Maritime’s two-set advantage when he won 4-2 which included a 13-darter before Mark Shears (26.42) won 4-2 for Porters with his best legs coming in 15 and 16.

With Maritime leading 4-3, they pressed on again and took the last two sets through Dan Sheikh (21.42) and Sean Burkitt (15.85) for a 6-3 opening victory.

The Wanderers (Victory Inn) travelled to Torquay to face Galaxy but could never quite get going and before they won their first point, they were 5-0 down.

Rich Coombs (22.60) and Keith Whitley (20.70) both won by the odd leg in seven but trailing 6-2, Alan Masters (23.16) came from 2-0 to win 4-2.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts