Race for super league title still on despite duo's defeat

THE race for the premier division title of the Devon Super League took another twist when the leading duo both lost, each suffering their third reverse of the campaign.

An under-strength Maritime side travelled to Royal Anglers (Bideford) but could never recover from losing three of the first four games and finally succumbed to a 6-3 defeat.

Devon Youth player Harry Bull (23.28) gave a good account of himself when emerging a 4-3 winner followed by a 4-2 success for Kieran Burns (27.37).

Mark Gilbery (23.56) tried to keep Maritime in the game when winning 4-1, aided by an 18-dart leg which he finished with a kill of 134, before the hosts won the last two.

Maritime were unlucky in as much that three of their defeats were by the odd leg in seven.

Arguably the best game of the fixture was between Anthony Thorne (26.31) and Maritime’s Danny Bull (26.67).

Bull (pictured) went 3-2 up which included a 12-darter which he finished with a checkout of 121, before Thorne won the last two legs in 16 and 15 respectively after Bull had left himself 40 in both of the legs but never got a throw.

Ker St Social Club produced one of their best performances of the campaign as they came from 3-0 down to inflict on Exeter Eagles a 5-4 defeat.

Cameron Pickard (21.93) began the revival when winning 4-3, aided by a leg in 14 before Marc Cresswell (25.77) came from 2-0 down to win 4-2.

Kelvin Rowe (25.04) tied the match at 3-3 when winning 4-1 before Eagles moved in front again when taking the seventh set.

With their backs to the wall, Ker St’s Scott Lawrey (24.79) won 4-2, aided by an 18-darter which he finished with a kill of 100 to tie the match at 4-4, before Gary Phillips (23.32) took to the oche to try and win the match.

He went 3-1 up, only to be pegged back to 3-3 before he held his nerve to win the seventh leg and Ker St the match.

Porters still sit precariously in the relegation zone after they were edged out 5-4 at The Racehorse (Tiverton).

They began well enough when winning the opener through Mark Shears (23.58), who triumphed 4-0, which included an 18-darter which he finished with an outshot of 100.

The hosts then took three on the bounce before Ryan Ring (17.35) emerged a 4-2 winner to put Porters just one behind at 3-2.

Kevin Lofthouse (20.36) came from 2-0 down to win 4-3 only for Racehorse to win twice more and secure the match.

Jon Matlock (19.65) won the last point of the fixture with a 4-0 win.

Maritime’s title rivals Winchester Warriors were surprisingly defeated 7-2 at Muff Boyz but still top the table, albeit by a single point.

With four matches to play, the race for the premier crown is likely to come down to the last match of the season when Warriors have to visit Maritime.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts