Cup Drama In Plymouth Open League

Division A leaders, The Cherry Tree A, dominated their tie and dropped just one leg in twenty-two over their Division B opponents, Prince Maurice.

In the 11-0 second leg, Mel Sharpe hit a maximum with nine tons from Dave Lee and George Beckett finished with a fine 100.

The Falstaff and Cherry Tree B could not be separated after twenty-two legs played over two nights home and away, which meant a playoff was required to decide the winners.

Shane Roberts forced the playoff in the final singles leg after taking out a marvellous 160 checkout in the first leg of the tie.

However, Roberts was to end on the losing side as victory went to the Division B team who won the first two of three playoff legs meaning the final singles rubber was no longer needed.

There was more drama between the Weston Mill Hotel and Octagon in a game which James Farrell was the undoubted hero of the hour in both ties.

Farrell was remarkably drawn last in both contests which both went down to last leg deciders and the Weston Mill man won both to give his side their first two wins of the campaign; a 12-10 win overall.

Despite sitting slightly behind their opponents in the Division A league table, the St Levans made light work of their two legged affair with Ker St B, winning 8-3 both times.

St Levans racked up no fewer than fifty-three ton plusses over the two nights and reeled off eight in a row in the second matchup.

The Keyham side can be thankful to Nick Bryant who top scored with no less than fifteen tons over the two legs.

The Railway also eased through their tie with wins of 9-2 and 7-4 over fellow Division B opposition, The Fortescue.

Despite hailing from the second tier, the Ford Hotel belied their lower standing by beating Division A Mainstone 16-6 overall.

Del Bryce was on form throughout the contest with a maximum in the first match and a 15 darter in the home encounter.

The Lugger were too strong for Division B leaders King Billy with two 8-3 victories giving them safe passage to the next round of the cup.

Shaun Lamerton hit a fine 98 checkout in the first leg as the side notched fifty-nine tons to their Devonport rivals thirty-eight in a show of superiority throughout.

Ker St C also successfully navigated their way into the hat for the next round with wins of 8-3 and 6-5 over Weston Mill Oak Villa B.

There was three maximums across the two weeks with Oak Villa's Jonathan Easterbrook throwing one in each and Ker St's Robbie Bisgrove hitting one of his own.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts