Maritime win and remain in Super League title battle

MARITIME Social Club ensured that the premier division title race remains competitive after they defeated the Devon County Super League leaders.

Winchester Warriors (Exeter) had not tasted defeat since September last year but that form counted for nothing as they were swept aside by a 6-3 margin.

Paul Palmer (22.08) won the opening set for Maritime, aided by a checkout of 118 in a 4-3 success and although the Warriors levelled, the Plymouth side responded by taking four on the bounce.

Kieran Burns (24.55) emerged a 4-1 winner followed by a 4-2 victory from Lee Hellings (23.75) who also took out a finish of 113.

Scott Hutchinson (24.14) followed with a win in four straight legs before Mark Turner (24.84), was taken the full seven legs, despite leading 3-1, before edging it 4-3 to ensure victory.

The hosts took the next two before John Mann (26.88) won the ninth point for a good victory.

Teams are now at the half-way point with Maritime and Winchester neck and neck at the top of the table on 47 points.

Ker St Social Club remain in third spot but are now eight points off the pace after they lost 6-3 away at The Racehorse (Tiverton).

The Devonport side were 3-0 down before Mark Webber (21.64) halted the slide when coming from a 2-0 deficit to win 4-2.

Scott Lawrey (31.82) (pictured) followed with a man of the match performance which he won by a 4-1 margin in 11, 16, 17 and 18 but with four points still to play for only Kelvin Rowe (21.72) was successful in a disappointing defeat.

Porters climbed away from the relegation zone when they edged out Royal Angles (Bideford) 5-4, in a well-contested fixture that went right to the wire.

Porters responded well after losing the opening set by taking the next three which included a solid 4-1 success for Lewis Dare (24.33).

Andy Bates (23.47) came from 2-0 down to win 4-3 before Scott Wapshott (18.76) also had to go the full distance but came out of it victorious.

Antony Hayman (25.05) was Porters’ only winner from the next four which brought the two sides level at 4-4 before Phil Stewart (20.45) won the ninth and decisive point by a 4-0 margin.

Poison Ivy consolidated their promotion hopes with a 5-4 victory in division one and remain part of the leading trio that are separated by just a single point.

Tex Pearce (19.04) was a 4-0 winner either side of home victories for Galaxy (Torquay) but Neil White (26.16) brought the teams level at 2-2 when he came from 2-0 down to win the next four in 17, 16, 16 and 17.

Mike Pearce (25.89) edged Ivy in front for the first time when he emerged a 4-1 winnner in 20, 21, 15 and 19 before Dan Puleston (21.83) added to the scoreline with a 4-3 victory, securing the seventh leg in 16.

The Torquay side rallied and drew level at 4-4 before Dave Matthews claimed the all-important victory when winning 4-1 in 19, 16, 19 and 19.

The Bluebird remain top of division two after edging out Rays Beys, making their long trip to Torrington all the more worthwhile.

They led 4-1 through John Owen (4-3), Steve Barnes (4-3), Stew Roberts (4-0) and Rich Coombs (4-2) and although the hosts pulled it back to 4-4, the winning point was eventually won over seven legs by Shaune Kittle.

Maritime lost for only the second time in ladies’ division one when they were edged out 4-3 away at Shipwrecks (Crediton).

Jodie Hawton (18.56) earned the lady-of-the-match award with a 3-0 victory and further wins from Emma Cole (3-2) and Kayleigh Adams (3-0) put the Plymouth side 3-2 up, only to lose the last two points and the match.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts